Skip to main content

Direction concepts-Geometry nodes, Animation , Lighting , Compositing and Rendering in Blender

 For this week, I continued my work on my blender doughnut, exploring more of the features that the software provides. I first used the geometry nodes to add sprinkles on the icing surface of my doughnut. I did this by creating a cylinder mesh, downsizing and altering it's shape to resemble a single sprinkle. I then used this as the base object for my geometry nodes to copy all over the icing's surface. Tools such as the weight paint or the poission disk, allowed me to control the location and density of the sprinkles. I was even able to randomize the position of each sprinkle using the random node.


After I was satisfied with the doughnut's overall look , I then made of few more sprinkle shapes, inserted them as a group in the geometry nodes and the applied a randomized colour for all of them. This gave the sprinkles a more realistic look. As a last touch, I also added a few sprinkle balls by manually duplicating and placing spherical meshes around the doughnuts surface.

Sprinkle/Geometry Node Process


With the modelling and coloring finally completed, I experimented with blenders inbuilt animation mode, by making the doughnut rotate 360 degrees.  I found this step easier than what came previously, as I had experience with using animation software such as After Effects for previous projects. Using key frames and the graph editor, I was able to animate the direction, speed and the number of times in which the doughnut made a full rotation. I also made sure the camera was perfectly aligned with the doughnut, capturing its best angle while making sure that it was the center of the frame.


Animation Workspace 

Moving on, I learned the basics of lighting an object by using the key, fill and rim light sources to add depth to the object. I found the rim light, which was located at the back of the doughnut, especially as it helped the object not to blend into the background. I experimented with the each lights intensity and shadow effects until I was satisfied with the overall result.

Light experimentation

After I was finished with the lighting, I used the composition mode to alter the image as whole before I rendered the animation. Using nodes again, I added a blue background to the image, to help the doughnuts stand out more. I also singled out the doughnut's light reflection and placed a blur filter over them, allowing me to control the reflective qualities of the model. After applying a few more subtle effects in the composition mode, I retraced a few steps, altering any qualities of the doughnut that I wasn't fully satisfied with (such as the model's lighting or coloring). 

Composition Workspace

Final Image Render

After making some final adjustments such as increasing the contrast of the image, I first tried rendering the animation  using the cycles rendering engine. However, this took too much of my laptop's processing power, meaning that the render time would last for hours. Rendering in Eevee was much easier as it didn't need nearly as much time or processing power to render my animation. After waiting for 10 mins, I saved all of the individual PNG files of my rendered animation frames and brought them to Blenders video player. After combining all of them into one singular video and saving it as an MP4, I was finally finished with my first project in Blender.

 


Final Animation

Overall, despite how long it took for me to experiment with Blender's tools and features, I'm glad I did so as now I have a basic understanding of using the program as a whole, epically compared to what I knew 2 weeks ago. While I might  use other programs to render my 3D environments, such as the Unreal Engine, I can defiantly see myself using Blender as a primary workspace for my final year project. My main goal now is to simply continue practicing how to use it, in conjunction with the grease pencil and other programs. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Direction Concepts- Group Feedback session

Direction Concepts- Group Feedback session This week I attended a group feedback session with Conor O’Callaghan and Muireann Hayes. Throughout this session, we all shared our final project ideas through a presentation while asking questions and giving feedback to one another. However, before I talk about what happened during the session, I will briefly explain my decision to change in the direction of my project.  Up until this point, my overall project idea was to adapt a sci-fi short story into a 3D motion comic that had interactive elements. However, after spending some time on researching 3D software, I realized that I didn't poses the technical knowledge or resources to go through with my original idea. Furthermore, there are very limited learning resources related to creating 3D comics, meaning that I would have no clear method or resources for implementing my idea.    For these reasons, I had to rethink my overall project idea to something that I could realisticall...

Proposal Document Rough Draft

 Note, this is a rough draft of the final year document. Sections, graphs and citations will be added in before the deadline. Final Year Project Proposal Document   Abstract – 150 Words WIP Section 1 -Introduction (250 words)   For my final year project, I will create an interactive multimedia 3D visual adaptation of Gerald Manley Hopkin’s poem, “Spring”. This 3D experience will transform the poem into a 3D environment that the user can walk through and experience. The landscape will both represent the poems visual imagery and metaphorical messages. The experience will start in a winter forest, the landscape dead and cold. As the user slowly walks forward, a disembodied voice will narrate the poem. The words spoken will have a direct effect on the environment around the user, bringing life into the forest, through animations and visual effects. However, since one of the key themes of the poem is the passage of time and the loss of innocence, the environment will...