After effects Cube 3D animation
For this week in my technical research phase, I learned how to use Adobe After effects to create simple 3D assets and then animate them. I wanted to experiment in After effects first as I was already familiar with the program's interface from past projects. Although my 3D comic will be primally static, I wanted to have a few moving elements in each panel to bring some sort life within the environment.
Using a tutorial I found on YouTube, I first created a simple cube completely in After effects by arranging 6 solid square shapes within the program's in built 3D space. I then created a separate composition from those layers, so I can directly transform/edit the cube's dimensions.
After doing this, I then moved onto creating a simple 3D animation using these techniques. I created a quick two second composition loop of two square frames flashing. I did this so that the sides of the cube won't look too static/boring.
I then followed the same steps as I did previously to form the square tile into a cube. I also created a 3d plain for the cube to rest on. I then animated the cube stretching and growing out of the ground using cartoon physics. I repeated the process several times, animating the cubes in different angles.
Overall, while the process while it was fun to create and animate the cubes, I don't think I'll use this program to create any complicated 3D assets due to its limited modelling tools. Animating the cubes was simple, however there were limitations for keyframing the cube's X, Y and Z size/scale dimensions separately. Although I was able to get around this problem by creating separate expressions for each axis, it still made animating the cubes harder then it had to be.
In conclusion, while I wouldn't use After effects for asset creation, I'll still experiment with the program for its other uses for 3D effects.
School of Motion(2017),Quickly Create 3D in After Effects, Available at:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22bsrFRjs0&t=5s (Accessed at 9 of October 2022)

Comments
Post a Comment