Modelling, colouring and texturing in Blender
For this week, my main aim was to learn how to use blender for the first time and create my first object, the beginner Doughnut. This was my first time ever using the program for 3D modelling specifically, so I followed a long a series of tutorials, each one instructing how to use most of the tools and programs that Blender offers.
Like with any new program, one of the first things I covered were the
basic short cuts/hot keys used to create, move, and scale objects in the
program. This allowed me to create the basic torque (doughnut) shape, altering
its scale to look big and puffy. Using the grab tool in edit mode, I made sure
the overall shape of the doughnut was lumpy and uneven to make it slightly more
realistic. After doing that, I simply duplicated and cut the upper half of the
doughnut, to make the icing layer. To help the two layers blend together, I
used a combination of the grab tool and size modifiers make the icing look like
it was melting over the doughnut bun. I also went into sculpting mode and used
experimented with some its tools, such the inflate/deflate tool, to add further
details to the doughnut's shape.
After I was finished with modelling, I moved on to experimenting with Blender’s colouring, texture painting and shading modes. After adding a pink colour material for the icing, I altered with its setting to make it look reflective and glossy when exposed to the light. I also made sure that the icings colour altered slightly when exposed to different levels of light, just to give it a slightly translucent feel to it.
In-order to for the bun to have a semi-realistic texturing, I went into
blenders shading mode. Using a node network, I was able to alter the bun's
surface, transforming it from looking like plastic, to having an uneven
surface. I also used the texture painting mode to add a white rim around the
bun's midsection, to represent its softer parts.
Overall, I am pleased with my results so far, even if it had taken
longer for me to do than expected. The program has been a steep learning curve
since I barely had any experience of 3D modelling beforehand. However, once I
got used to the program's interface and some of it's more basic features, the
process of learning the programs feature were fun to go through and pick up. I
also like how compact blender is, allowing users to sculpt, texture and even
animate entire projects without leaving the program. This is especially useful
for me, as I want to incorporate the grease pencil into my final year
project.
For next week, I’ll continue to experiment with the program, such as
using its geometric nodes to create and control multiple assets or using its
animation mode to animate my object.
Link to tutorials = https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgFX8ZsChQVQsuDSjEqdWMAD





Comments
Post a Comment