Skip to main content

Direction Concepts- PARALLAX 3d Scene- Photoshop and After effects animation

 PARALLAX 3d Scene

For this visual experiment, I wanted to learn how to create a 3D scene from a 2D picture. I wanted to do this as I think it could be useful for me when I'm brining 2D layers from a drawing program and placing them in a 3D space. I could also add in special effects and animation to make the scenes more engaging/visually stimulating. 

To help me understand this process, I followed a few tutorials for cutting out and masking layers in photoshop and brining them into After effects as a 3D object. Since this was my first time doing this process, I used the example photos from one of the tutorials I watched, just so I could follow the exact steps shown on screen without getting confused.


Original Photograph

After downloading the photo and importing it to Photoshop, I carefully cut, masked over and cloned the main elements from the photograph until all of them were separated into different layers. I did this by mainly using the pen and stamp tools. I also added a new city scape background to lighten up the image. 


Altered Image

After completing this step, I imported all the layers in After effects and carefully spaced them out to give the illusion of depth. A tool that helped in the process was the camera view, as it allowed me to accurately position each layer based on its X,Y,Z axis in the composition.

 


After successfully positioning and stretching out the layers, I animated the train speeding across the scene while activating the motion blur to give it a sense of speed. I also added a shadow to make the scene more immersive. Finally, I animated the camera zooming in slowly, just to give the scene a feeling of depth. I also wanted to add a few more effects, however I currently do not posses the funds for adding pulgins.


Final Video

Overall, while this process was time consuming, the final result was definitely worth it. While I still need to experiment with a few more 3D programs for more effects, I feel, like learning this process will definitely be useful for my final year project, especially for establishing/landscape shots.

MDMZ(30 Jan 2021)Create a 3D Scene from a Single Photo in After Effects Available at :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tVyu-rjHbg (Accessed at 9 of October 2022)

Yes Im a Designer (14 Dec 2020) How to use the Pen Tool in Photoshop like a Pro Available at:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSpBnPNHU5A&t=232s (Accessed at 10 Oct 2022)

 

   

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Direction concepts-Geometry nodes, Animation , Lighting , Compositing and Rendering in Blender

 For this week, I continued my work on my blender doughnut, exploring more of the features that the software provides. I first used the geometry nodes to add sprinkles on the icing surface of my doughnut. I did this by creating a cylinder mesh, downsizing and altering it's shape to resemble a single sprinkle. I then used this as the base object for my geometry nodes to copy all over the icing's surface. Tools such as the weight paint or the poission disk, allowed me to control the location and density of the sprinkles. I was even able to randomize the position of each sprinkle using the random node. After I was satisfied with the doughnut's overall look , I then made of few more sprinkle shapes, inserted them as a group in the geometry nodes and the applied a randomized colour for all of them. This gave the sprinkles a more realistic look. As a last touch, I also added a few sprinkle balls by manually duplicating and placing spherical meshes around the doughnuts surface. Sp...

Proposal Document Rough Draft

 Note, this is a rough draft of the final year document. Sections, graphs and citations will be added in before the deadline. Final Year Project Proposal Document   Abstract – 150 Words WIP Section 1 -Introduction (250 words)   For my final year project, I will create an interactive multimedia 3D visual adaptation of Gerald Manley Hopkin’s poem, “Spring”. This 3D experience will transform the poem into a 3D environment that the user can walk through and experience. The landscape will both represent the poems visual imagery and metaphorical messages. The experience will start in a winter forest, the landscape dead and cold. As the user slowly walks forward, a disembodied voice will narrate the poem. The words spoken will have a direct effect on the environment around the user, bringing life into the forest, through animations and visual effects. However, since one of the key themes of the poem is the passage of time and the loss of innocence, the environment will...

Direction Concepts/Business Enterprise- Projects that I enjoyed during the course

Creative Digital Media    Projects  Here is a brief list of some of the projects that I had enjoyed working on on during my time in MTU. Not only these were fun to do on, but helped me understand what type of career I would like work towards. Year 1 Moving Image & Sound    I liked this module as it was my first introduction to Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects. Coming from a background with no knowledge of using computers or creative software, this class was essential for me. It was also my first exposure of drawing and animating digitally.     Link to animation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslteETNo0o Animation Principles This module was nice carry on from Moving Image and Sound as it allowed to develop my animation and illustration skills in both Photoshop and After Effects.  Link to animation: https://youtu.be/494EVSmxIhQ Year 2 Portfolio Development This module was the fists time I attemp...